Toronto, September 16, 2020 – First Nation Communities READ announces the shortlist for the combined Children’s and Young Adult/Adult categories. Chosen by a jury of Indigenous librarians from across Ontario, these titles represent the best of Indigenous literature from across Turtle Island today. The title selection announcement for FNCR 2020-2021 will take place at Toronto’s Virtual Word on the Street Festival on Sunday, September 27, 2020. The authors of the selected title will be the recipients of the Periodical Marketers of Canada Indigenous Literature Award and will each receive a $3000 cash prize.
Children’s Category Shortlist
- I’m Finding My Talk by Rebecca Thomas. Published by Nimbus Publishing
- When We Had Sled Dogs by Ida Tremblay. Published by Your Nickel’s Worth Publishing
- E Meshkwadooniged Mitig/The Trading Tree by Nancy Cooper. Published by Prince’s Trust Canada
- Sus Yoo The Bear’s Medicine by Clayton Gauthier. Published by Theytus Books
- Neekah’s Knitting Needles by Odelia Smith and Sylvia Olsen. Published by Sono Nis Press
Young Adult/Adult Category Shortlist
Crow Winter by Karen McBride. Published by Harper Collins Publishers Ltd.
- Chasing Painted Horses by Drew Hayden Taylor. Published by Cormorant Press
- If I Go Missing by Brianna Jonnie. Published by James Lorimer and Company
- In My Own Moccasins by Helen Knott. Published by University of Regina Press
- A Mind Spread Out on the Ground by Alicia Elliott. Published by Doubleday Canada